Participant Roles - Tutor
In signing up as a volunteer the tutor is stating a willingness to
commit a significant amount of time and effort helping one or more
students. The tutor needs to decide up front the range of grade
levels, the school(s), and the subjects in which they are willing
assist. Once a tutor has been contacted and has agreed to tutor a
student they should:
- Exchange phone number information with the student so they can
contact each other if they need to change meeting times.
- Show up on time for meetings with the student, and let the
student know if they will be unable to do so.
- Determine from the student, the teacher, and from observation where
the student needs help.
- Educate yourself on different learning styles and tutoring
techniques (see resources list).
- Work with the student and teacher to establish objectives for
- Familiarize themselves with the subject matter and with the lessons
the student is working on.
- Try to present the material to the student in different ways.
- Try to help the student understand the relevance of their studies to
"real world" activities.
- Provide feedback to the school and business tutoring coordinators
to let them know how the tutoring is working.